The tower was the nerve centre of Montefollonico’s defence during the wars between Siena and Florence. It was completed in 1277, on the insistence of the Republic of Siena, to replace an earlier less well-protected tower a short distance away inside the walls. The brickwork is neatly laid out, the original windows, now closed up, have carved stone cornices. The top part of the tower is less carefully constructed, perhaps due to the hasty conclusion of the works. Brick corniced arches adorn the facade to the top of the tower. Now a private property.